Sunday, October 23, 2011

Is it red and white stripes or white and red stripes?

 Try to envision two black bars. I told the hospital administration when we were there in Aug. for Helping Hands that one day I would be back and their black bars would be painted the red and white they had been many years before.

The guards were wonderful and we had good conversations over the course of 2 days. They tried to help keep the people away from me as well as the cars and trucks when I was painting  the other gate.

This is the view from across the way. I was going to use spray paint, but it kept being windy. I began by painting the bars all white. Then with masking tape I added the red. It wasn't perfect but looked much better than before. I asked some of the young boys walking by to help pick up trash. They did. Then I asked them if they were visiting people in the hospital. They said, "No, we are patients being treated for flu." I apologized and told them to not pick up the trash any more.  I had a lot of people stop and look. One lady asked me if I had a work permit to to the painting. Everyone has to have a permit to work. I told her volunteers didn't need work permits. Boy! I actually did have permission however. A painter came by looking for a job. I told him he was welcome, but that it was a free job. Another person asked me if our church taught people how to paint. Namibia is all about getting a job. The unemployment rate is 50% but in the age group from 18-30 it is 80%.

There was another gate at a different entrance. Doug said, "Don't volunteer."

1 comment:

  1. :-)!

    Love it mom - ALWAYS looking for an opportunity to help out! The gates look beautiful! It reminds me of when we were doing the schoolhouse and we found our roofer from a guy just walking by looking for work.

    ReplyDelete